Monday, June 10, 2013

Almond Butter




I've been on this almond craze lately and just can't get enough of it...hand me a jar of almond butter and a spoon, all of it will disappear. Why hadn't I thought of making this earlier? Taking in a big spoonful of this almond butter brings me down Memory Lane. mmm the good ol' days.



Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my days now too, but there's been this exponential increase in responsibility that I'm not sure I'm ready to face. C'mon schools, what you should be teaching us should include things such as: paying taxes and bills, buying and renting property, renewing passports... perhaps even a bit of home ec. education? Thank you very much. 


Life skills, becoming street smart, using sharp knives... 



Back to almond butter though. With all this summer free time in my hands, I've been able to get bunches of cardio into my schedule. This almond butter has been by far, my favorite post-workout snack. There's just something oh-so-special about homemade nut butters! 


After I toasted the raw almonds, our home was filled with the warmest nutty aroma evahhh! Look at those cute little cracks in the nuts.



Let me just briefly explain each step: 
  1. Unprocessed state.
  2. Chopped almonds.
  3. Oils starting to come out.
  4. Almonds taking on its butter/liquid-y form.
  5. Down below is the beautiful butter created after that massive load of hard work. ha ha
I really do hope you enjoy your homemade almond butter!

Ingredients: yields approximately 1 1/2 cups
2 cups raw or toasted whole almonds
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon (opt.)

Directions:
  1. If using raw almonds, toast over the stove for about 15 minutes on low fire, or until your home is filled with a nutty aroma and the nuts begin to split. If using pre-toasted almonds, go ahead and skip to step 2.
  2. In a food processor, process the whole almonds until the desired consistency. Do not be discouraged at any point if your almonds are taking a while to get to its liquid state--just keep processing! 
  3. Once the almonds are almost in its butter form, add in the salt and continue processing until salt is thoroughly incorporated into the almond butter.
Notes:
- If you desire to sweeten your almond butter, add some honey. However, this will dry out your almond butter, so you will need to add some oil.
- You can always make raw almond butter, although I find that it is not as tasty as the toasted almond version.
- Do not over toast the almonds; it will result with a more bitter butter.
- My almonds did not become almond butter until about 20 minutes later. Your processor may result with varying times. 

With love,
Grace 

26 comments:

  1. i love almonds but i never try this before.. this definitely yummy!!!!

    xoxo,Meg of Sweet Gala's

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous colour! Great post workout snack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never made my own but now I definitely want to try! Your pictures are lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And do try it, it's so worth it!

      Delete
  4. Your blog is just gorgeous! I've always wanted to try making almond butter and you make it look so easy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I'm glad you like the look of my blog! You definitely should make almond butter. Easy peasy :)

      Delete
  5. Almond butter is so easy to make that it is almost useless to buy it at the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually writing an article about nut butters, and have been coming across all these DIY nut butter recipes. Love how easy they are! I'm itching to try pistachio butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I'd love to read the article! Pistachio butter sounds interesting. Now that you mentioned it, I'd like to experiment with that!

      Delete
  7. Love almond butter and thanks so much for sharing, it looks and sounds so easy to make! Your photos are gorgeous:)
    Kelly @ Life made Sweeter

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE homemade nut butters! So easy and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, thank you so much for showing us how easy it is to make almond butter. Now, I have no excuse to buy them in the tub. :) Hm...spreading on some fruit wedges would be the healthy and perfect snack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'll ever buy nut butter in a tub again! Fruit and nut butter = pure bliss

      Delete
  10. Grace, I know EXACTLY how you feel, I adore home made almond butter and I could eat a whole jar!! It's so delicious!! :) Love your pictures it looks mouthwatering!! :) I'll definitely save your recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still obsessing over almond butter! Glad you can relate to me hahaha! Thanks so much :)

      Delete
  11. Grace, this looks SO earthy and I love that it's homemade. I have never made almond butter before. Thanks for sharing the recipe. And the addition of cinnamon takes it over the top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinnamon seems to make everything better! I'm thinking about trying a maple sugar one now!

      Delete
  12. I've just found your blog and have fallen madly in love already. This looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your name ;) I'm so happy that you love my blog! xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read ©Perpetual Nomming. Hope you enjoyed the post!

© 2012-2013 Perpetual Nomming. All images & content are copyright protected. Powered by Blogger.
 

Template by BloggerCandy.com