One of my favorite things about summer is the large array of summer salads that restaurants offer. In attempts to recreate my obsession of a salad from a vegetarian restaurant back in Shanghai, this dish actually became something else and became my very own...and it's better (shh I still love the other one though).
The great thing about salad making is that you are able to use what you have on hand. Mixing and matching various ingredients eventually allows you to find a favorite combination that you'll stick to for a long, long time.
If you haven't got anything planned for Independence Day, this would be a great option!
1/4 cup black rice, dry
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp water
pinch of salt
1/2 cup lentils, cooked
1/3 zucchini, about 3 inches from tip
1 small carrot
1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
dash of paprika
1/2 clove garlic, minced
salt, to taste
1/8 cup crumbled feta for topping
- Rinse the black rice thoroughly, until the water does not turn purple anymore. Bring the rice, salt, and water to a boil. Simmer for 8-10 minutes until the water is gone. Remove from heat. Take the lid off and place a clean dish towel over the pot. Let the rice sit for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the rice and lentils. Place the bowl in a refrigerator
- Cut the zucchini and cucumber into 1/2 inch coins. Cut those coin pieces into fourths. Place the cucumber pieces into a mid-sized bowl. Put aside. Prepare a stove top grill for the zucchini pieces. Be sure to grill the zucchini pieces until a fork easily pokes through.
- As the zucchini is grilling, julienne the small carrot. Place the julienned carrot into the bowl with the cucumber. Take the grilled zucchini pieces and also place them into bowl with cucumber.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, paprika, garlic, and salt.
- The rice and lentil mixture should now be cold. Take the bowl out of the refrigerator and mix the cucumber mixture with the rice mixture. Take the garlic dressing and mix it into the cucumber-rice mixture. Top with feta. Refrigerate until served.
- This recipe serves 3-4 as a side dish.
- Do not over-grill the zucchini; the slight crunch makes it a bit more interesting
- My zucchini and cucumber were about 8 inches from tip to tip.