Picture yourself out on a Greek beach. You've just come out the clear, blue water; your skin is glistening from the Mediterranean Sun, and you've got a huge buffet of food waiting for you. ohmygoodness yum. Now snap out of it. I wasn't making this up...when you take your first bite of these tomatoes, that's what you see and feel.
This is basically how this tomato came to be:
Feta: psssst, take me home
Grace: no! I dunno know what to do with you...
Obviously I gave in. So, the Feta sat in my fridge for a few days until a huge mass of ideas came to me. My favorite was this combination of tomatoes, Kalamata olives, quinoa, avocado, feta, and olive oil--very Mediterranean. Perhaps I was longing for summer flavours, or perhaps I was just tired of the same old weather.
Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe: makes 4
- 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cubed avocados
- 1/4 cup of Feta cheese + some for topping
- 6 cut Kalamata olives
- 1/2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 clove of minced garlic (optional)
- sea salt, to taste
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Preheat oven to 190C (375 F).
- Prepare quinoa.
- Core the tomatoes. To do this, slice about 1/8 inch off the top of the tomato and empty out the insides.
- Mix quinoa, avocado, feta, olives, and salt [garlic and Italian seasoning] together. Take a small taste and add more of an ingredient according to taste.
- Spray cooking dish with oil.
- Brush tops of tomatoes with olive oil.
- Stuff the tomatoes. Top with additional Feta.
- Bake tomatoes for 15-20 minutes or until the Feta cheese turns to a golden color.
Note: Each stuffed tomato has about 127 calories.
So where's your favorite vacation spot?