Sunday, February 17, 2013

Tip-Top Healthy Chocomuffs




 This doesn't happen often, but these muffins happen to be ones I immediately scarf down straight out of the oven. I only made four in this batch, but they were so good, I made them again. Plus, they're super healthy :) Actually, I believe this are my first healthy chocolate-containing baked good. Score! Motivation to discover and make more mine.

Although I haven't I don't particularly have a sweet tooth these day, I still crave chocolate. So so so, these were perfect; my Tip-top Healthy Chocomuffs (always making up words) are bittersweet and moist, but when you bite into a chocolate chip...mmm you see fireworks. Of course, these fireworks are better than the ones that have been blasting all week here in Shanghai. 

When I saw these on Dashing Dish's blog, I knew I had to have them. To make them more moist, I added applesauce, upped the amount of Greek yoghurt, and sweetened them slightly with Agave nectar.

The best part of these muffins are delish sans flour, oil, and sugar! What?! Totes my fave recipe now.





What I didn't understand was the muffin top. First of all, why is it darker? Second, why am I so lucky?! It frosted itself :) Kind of?

I'm thinking it's because I took them out of the oven to sprinkle chocolate chips on, and then the cool air did something to them. I actually don't know...I'm just making things up.

Wait wait, look at the name of these. I thought I was so clever when I named them. (;



I don't want to bore you with my family all the time, but they're the ones who give me really great feedback. I guess once school starts up again (ugh...Monday), my lovely food-loving friends can start giving me feedback.

Buuut, teens will eat any free food right?




Later in the day, I saw the last chocomuff in the fridge, so I cut the muffin top off. My mom scowled at me, probably because she wanted it.

Okay, I'm going off on a tangent, but I've been obsessed with Greek Yoghurt these days. I eat it with granola, apples, plain, with honey; put it in dressings, muffins, sushi; sub in for mayo...someone please help me before I over-indulge. Jokes, don't stop me. I laaav it! Back to these beauties... 



If you have the time, which you should, these are quick and rewarding to make. You basically dump everything into a blender and voila, a Tip-top chocomuff :)

No, but they're actually super rewarding. I'll break it down for you:
Applesauce: This is high in fiber and vitamin C.
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: high in fiber and protein, stabilizes blood sugar, gives good cholesterol and gets rid of bad cholesterol, gluten-free, and contains antioxidants beneficial in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Greek Yoghurt: high high high in protein!, contains probiotics great for aiding digestion, is a good source of calcium :)
Agave Nectar: low glycemic index, meaning it doesn't give an unhealthy blood sugar spike 
Chocolate:  increases endorphins that can decrease stress levels and fight depression, boosts energy levels, and the list goes on. Find more on chocolate at this site.

And here's the gold:

Tip-top Healthy Chocomuffs 
Recipe: makes 12 muffins
1 3/4 cup oats
3 egg whites
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup hot water
4 Tbsp Agave Nectar
1/ cup mini chocolate chips

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C)
  2. Blend all the ingredients in a blender or food processor except for the chocolate chips.
  3. Once you've blended everything, stir in half of chocolate chips.
  4. Prepare muffin tins by greasing.
  5. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove.
  6. Add remaining chocolate chips.
  7. Bake for 2-5 more minutes.

Enjoy! And for those of you on Chinese New Year Break or President's Weekend break, enjoy your Sunday :)


2 comments:

  1. I'm going to make these tomorrow and indulge since you say they're so guilt-free ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read ©Perpetual Nomming. Hope you enjoyed the post!

© 2012-2013 Perpetual Nomming. All images & content are copyright protected. Powered by Blogger.
 

Template by BloggerCandy.com