Thursday, March 21, 2013

Banana Bread Oatmeal

Oatmeal has been my most recent food obsession. I've eaten some sort of oatmeal related item throughout the day for at least 3 weeks now. Someone call me cray cray.
When I was younger, I was disgusted with the thought of mushy gunk for breakfast. Instead, I was more like, "Yo, seriously, where's my Life Cereal at? Lucky Charms...Poptarts?!" The only type of oatmeal I'd eat was from the little Quaker oatmeal packets. I'm so past that now. I'm actually contemplating starting an oatmeal series... Apple Pie oatmeal, Reese's oatmeal, baked oatmeal pies...oatmeal cookies...oatmeal bread. Okay I'm getting a little too excited.

However, I do love that my new obsession is oatmeal and not something like Ferrero Rocher. Not like that's happened before.

I recently got some steel cut oats so I'm excited to try this recipe with that!


Recipe: Adapted (slightly) from Girl Makes Food
Serves 4 heaping bowlfuls, 222 calories per bowl

2 cups of Skim milk (any other milk works too)
2 cups of water
1 & 1/2 cup of oats (I used Instant)
3 large ripe bananas or 4 small ripe bananas
2 tsp cinnamon (a big 2 tsp)

Suggested toppings:
Chocolate chips
Coconut flakes
Chopped walnuts
Maple syrup or honey, to taste


Directions
  1. In a bowl, mash up the bananas. Stir in cinnamon.
  2. In a large pot, bring the water and milk to a boil. Constantly stir, as the milk will foam.
  3. After the liquids have boiled, stir for about 5 minutes, or until the liquids have almost been completely soaked.
  4. Add the cinnamon bananas and keep stirring for about 2-3 minutes.
  5. Finally, add to your favorite breakfast bowl and enjoy!
Notes: 
- I usually don't add anything and that is how I prefer it! I'm lacking a sweet tooth these days.
- Cooking times and consistency will vary depending of oatmeal type, banana size, fire/heat intensity, ect
- Calories are an estimate. It will vary depending on what you add or take out
- With the leftovers, you can refrigerate it for the rest of the week and heat it up in the microwave each morning
 
Question of the Day:

What's your favorite part about banana bread?
My favorite part is definitely the chocolate chips! I especially love when the bread is fresh out of the oven and the chocolate is all melted. mmmmm! What about you?


If you're interested in more oat-related food, these muffins are made of oat flour!
Tip-Top Healthy Chocomuffs

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read ©Perpetual Nomming. Hope you enjoyed the post!

© 2012-2013 Perpetual Nomming. All images & content are copyright protected. Powered by Blogger.
 

Template by BloggerCandy.com